Welcome


My interest in the idea of sharing pedagogical purposes comes directly with the contact I have had with the Project for Enhancing Effective Learning at Monash University in Australia. Now each of these teachers were very active in establishing learning agendas with their classes. The impact they were having was inspiring. Each classroom tool can have a purpose beyond delivering content, and this needs to be shared.
I suppose the purpose of this website is collate, crystalise and open dialogues about how to increase this within classrooms. As the quote from Carl Bereiter illustrates this classroom methodology can empower our students.

Monday 10 May 2010

Folk theory update- Does displaying success against target motivate students?

With the next set of topic tests complete, I can now start to measure my theory that displaying students who beat(or match) their targets increases the numbers of students meeting their target! This being due to increased motivation and the in built fairness of the system.
What i mean by fair is not just celebrating the learning of students who get the highest scores, but seeing learning happen in all.

The first measure showed that one class had 8 students meeting the targets, and the second 4. As I said to these students "Every time I use this strategy the lists get longer and longer, more students meet their targets!"

So I am relieved to say that 10 (6 first timers) students in the first class and 7 (6first timers) in the other have met their targets.

This is not evidence (yet), but certainly encouraging.Anecdotally too the signs are good with more students asking the question "What do I need to do to improve?". As starting points go I'm happy with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment