Welcome


My interest in the idea of sharing pedagogical purposes comes directly with the contact I have had with the Project for Enhancing Effective Learning at Monash University in Australia. Now each of these teachers were very active in establishing learning agendas with their classes. The impact they were having was inspiring. Each classroom tool can have a purpose beyond delivering content, and this needs to be shared.
I suppose the purpose of this website is collate, crystalise and open dialogues about how to increase this within classrooms. As the quote from Carl Bereiter illustrates this classroom methodology can empower our students.

Tuesday 11 February 2014

How I plan lessons- Notes on the process.


I sat down to plan a lesson this morning, I decided to record my thoughts as I got going, I was hoping to find where the information about content knowledge, previous experiences, student prior learning was used in this process. This took about 10 minutes to give a loose scaffold, which is highlighted in yellow.  My thoughts are in yellow. Follow up posts will continue to detail the development of this lesson, the design of the resources and activities and how the lesson went.






Learning Intentions[D1] 

I always start here.
What do you want the students to gain?
Already having thoughts about the possible  activities – and/ or what I want students to be like during the lesson?
Some of these outcomes I want all the students get this session, some of the other will be built upon over time, and it is therefore ok if the group gets it.



Practice data handling, graphing skills and use of tables[D2]


Added the graphing skills and tables  while reflecting on what I want students to be like.

Spot correlations in data

Consider if it is causation or correlation

Review macro and micronutrients.

Describe the role of various vitamins and minerals in the body.

Define a deficiency symptom.

 

Bellwork/Starter task

Possible some matching activity to introduce new information about deficiency symptoms, some vitamins and minerals and to connect to previously learned information [D3] 

I'm think macro and micronutrients and their role in the body, this builds on a previous lesson and student research.

New Information.

Possible comparison of two diets, model thinking, data and a table[D4]  and some deficiency symptoms. Teacher gives definition. Is there any international data? [D5] 



  D4 The data and the table must come before correlations. Increasing complexity throughout the session.
D5 A context emerges, can I frame a big question to encapsulate the learning within this lesson? eg Why have 1 billion people got rickets? This reminds me of a previously planned lesson using epidemiology data to look at microbes? What were the draw backs and successes in that plan? Jigsaw task worked really well to establish a broad idea of the problem, lots of practice with data. Poor on teacher modelling "how to extract data", make data in consistent form might be a solution? Spent a lot of time in small groups doing this.



Construct task



D6 Broaden knowledge within group, while all students practice the skill of extracting data from the table
D7 Recent test showed that the year 7 students don’t know where to begin with these. The end of the jigsaw should give me some information if they are getting the skill. What should I do if they don't- the resources I make for this should help me decide this.



Starting to think that I need to start to put some meat on the bones, some of the fine details will emerge. I can check that I am “hitting” what I want to and make sure that nothing is being missed.






What are correlations use the  ice cream and sunburn to show difference between causation and correlation.

Then into a specific dietary one.

Decide to crack on with overview. Thinking I need some way of making the graphing data interactive, pondering human graphs or something with tech, I kind of like the idea of data being vibrant and dynamic. How will I know they get this? Need to make a decision on how they learn this...
















Need to look at what is available. The resources for this session are going to have to tailor made.
 
What about differentiation.
 
What about reading? Should I keep this strictly data centred, instinct says yes, within this scheme of learning are many other literacy based tasks.


On with some research then......








 

No comments:

Post a Comment