Welcome


My interest in the idea of sharing pedagogical purposes comes directly with the contact I have had with the Project for Enhancing Effective Learning at Monash University in Australia. Now each of these teachers were very active in establishing learning agendas with their classes. The impact they were having was inspiring. Each classroom tool can have a purpose beyond delivering content, and this needs to be shared.
I suppose the purpose of this website is collate, crystalise and open dialogues about how to increase this within classrooms. As the quote from Carl Bereiter illustrates this classroom methodology can empower our students.

Monday 24 August 2009

Getting to grips with Solo taxonomy.

I have just created my first specific assessment tool based around the Solo Taxonomy, and I'm rather pleased.


I have spent quite a lot of time getting my head around this , adapting for my own use, making a wall display (see earlier post) and deciding that the best way to use this would be through targeted activities with specific assessment sheets. Here it is, the topic is the rock cycle. Please not that this is not a traditional SOLO taxonomy as I have attempted to subdivide some of the categories.


So in planning for the first week back, I have seen a before, before after after ( See PEELWEB.ORG) activity that will elucidate the understanding of the students from the lesson. I have planned to do this as a group assessment. This will allow the students to discuss the SOLO taxonomy too, as it is there first exposure to it. I am intending to make the use of the SOLO taxonomy as key item of my learning agenda this year.


What has pleasantly surprised me was the speed at which I was able to write quality success criteria with built in progression. I hope it is as "clarifying" to my students thinking as it has been to mine. The criteria for the SOLO taxonomy really make it easy to do this. I have saved so much time it is easy for me to share it and write one for next weeks lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment