Welcome


My interest in the idea of sharing pedagogical purposes comes directly with the contact I have had with the Project for Enhancing Effective Learning at Monash University in Australia. Now each of these teachers were very active in establishing learning agendas with their classes. The impact they were having was inspiring. Each classroom tool can have a purpose beyond delivering content, and this needs to be shared.
I suppose the purpose of this website is collate, crystalise and open dialogues about how to increase this within classrooms. As the quote from Carl Bereiter illustrates this classroom methodology can empower our students.

Thursday 4 November 2010

Hinge Questions

For a better description of hinge questions please read this post


I love the simplicity of Hinge questions. My students can have a go of these in the first ten minutes of next lesson. But, behind this simplicity there is a little thought, each question is testing a key learning intention from the past two lessons. I have intentionally sought to mislead or place red herrings in their way. I want their mistakes manifest.


This will give me a chance to respond, either through some differentiate activities or a targeted teacher input for the next part of the lesson. I have also differentiated these by SAT level so that certain questions will hint at student progress.




To get these right, I have rewrote them and deleted others. I've probably spent too long on writing what is essentially four questions, but my next lesson depends upon them


No comments:

Post a Comment